Thursday, August 8, 2013

How to Keep Tomato Plants Alive in August Houston Heat

Hi Readers,

I am somewhat struggling to keep my tomato plants alive in Houston with our scorching 100 degree or hotter August days. They are doing well so far. Once the daily temps rose above 90 degrees the tomato plants stop producing pollen. I have many plants that are growing well, though I am not getting any tomatoes. I water in the morning a little and then at night. Here is a great article tip sheet from EHow.com.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7500832_grow-tomatoes-texas-heat.html

It is extremely important not to over water plants or to water them heavily at night. Doing so can breed tomato fungus on the leaves, branches, and stems. Also, make sure your tomato plants get 6-8 hours of sun a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment